Things can be a bit disorienting when you first travel to a new destination and Bangkok is no different. But “The Big Mango” is always on the top of the most travelled destination lists for a reason! With activities that offer something to do for every type of tourist, many wonder where to even start! This round-up aims to give you an idea of what your list of top 10 things to do in Bangkok could look like.
Getting around and seeing the sights
- Explore temples: Starting your Bangkok trip with some cultural sightseeing! Thailand is a majority Buddhist nation, with temples still playing a vital role in the life of the average Bangkokian. As for tourists, there are some unique and stunning temples that are definitely worth a visit. Most of these important ones are in Bangkok’s old town area, which is also where ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai is located. If you must choose only three, be sure to visit Wat Pho (and the Grand Palace), Wat Arun and Wat Saket (Golden Mount). General rules about visiting temples apply about respecting the dress code rule and covering up.
- Travel like a local: Yes, Bangkok is famous for its traffic. But did you know that avoiding congestion by travelling like a local is itself a potential fun adventure, too? Explore a different side of the city by travelling via skytrain or underground train, by motorcycle taxi, tuk tuk or even by boat!
- Live by the water: One of Bangkok’s old nicknames used to be the “Venice of the East”. This came thanks to the citywide network of criss-crossing canals. Now, most of these have been paved for roads, but commuting via canal boat remains an option for adventurous tourists. Another, more sedate way to explore life by the water is catching a ride on the riverside tourist shuttles. It’s a smooth way to get to and from the sights there. Must experience riverside attractions include: Wat Arun and Pak Klong Talad market. Riverside shopping spots are IconSiam, Asiatique and Chinese-style Lhong 1919.
Exciting top 10 things to do in Bangkok experiences are waiting!
- Try the street food: Thais are a nation of foodies! It’s time to get serious about food and eat your fill of delicious street food! A memorable meal is waiting around every corner! Choose from humble pushcarts to open-air restaurants that have been feeding hungry locals for decades. Fun fact: Ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai is near many Michelin Bib Gourmand-rated street eateries! Most can even be reached by foot.
- Experience fine dining: If more upscale cuisine is what you’re after, no worries there! Bangkok is another global city with a fine dining scene that has serious chops. Your choices range from Western cuisine stand-outs to high-end Asian choices, for e.g Japanese omakase joints.
- Shop ‘til you drop: Shopping is definitely one of the top 10 things to do in Bangkok. As with the city’s dining scene you can go swank or down-to-earth. Like most Southeast Asian cities, Bangkok is no stranger to modern shopping malls. Not only a photogenic place to meet, they invite shoppers room to browse, socialize and eat. Nowadays, there are many talented local brands featuring stylish products, too. But if it’s haggling that you’re after, head to Bangkok’s many open-air markets! The most famous of all is Chatuchak weekend market, or JJ market. With countless stalls selling almost anything under the sun, it needs to be seen in person. Our tips: stay hydrated and bring a reusable shopping bag as well as small change and a willingness to haggle.
- Try a traditional workshop or class: Sometimes, the best souvenir is returning home with a new skill! Popular choices for tourists visiting Bangkok are Muay Thai boxing or Thai cooking classes. There’s different options available for every level.
- Get a Thai massage: If all this exploring has made you weary, it’s time to fix that! Thai massage is renowned worldwide for its restorative properties. If the full-body stretching sounds too strenuous, how about a foot massage instead? Those serious about learning more about Thai massage can always visit Wat Pho to learn “from the source”, too.
Bangkok by day, Bangkok by night
- Enjoy the view up top: Things may not always be better up top, but they do look more photogenic! Bangkok boats a plethora of stunning skybars and restaurants to admire skyline views from. An easier option for guests staying at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai is to walk over to Wat Saket. Stride up the 300-odd steps of the Golden Mount and enjoy amazing 360 views of town.
- Party like a Bangkokian: This wouldn’t be a list of top 10 things to do in Bangkok if it didn’t talk about partying! Bangkok’s nightlife is after all so famous there’s been songs about it. From fancy clubbing to neighbourhood karaoke joints and pop-up bars by the street, there’s something to do for every budget. If more laid back fun is what you’re after, spend time at Streats Bar & Bistro! It’s the best bar in Rambuttri road for some quality people watching. Sate your appetite with hearty comfort food and drinks at budget-friendly prices. And when you’re ready for more, walk over to Khaosan road for front row seats of their renowned nightlife scene.
With so many top 10 things to do in Bangkok waiting for you, it’s time to plan that next Bangkok trip! Guests staying at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai are uniquely situated to make the most of their trip thanks to the hotel’s convenient location. With 215 rooms, three different room types and a stunning rainbow pool, it’s a perfect home-base while you spend time in town. Sign up for free as an ALL (Accor Live Limitless) member today and earn points and perks as you enjoy great offers on your next holiday break!